Want to Volunteer?
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization and we would not be able to be heroes for pets and the people who love them without the much-needed support of our dedicated volunteers! Please read below to find out if volunteering with Great Plains SPCA is right for you!
What are the requirements to volunteer?
- Time commitment varies by role
- Grace, accountability and respect for your fellow volunteers, GPSPCA staff and our guests
- Support for Great Plains SPCA’s mission
- An active e-mail for receiving volunteer communications
- $17 new volunteer fee which covers training and a t-shirt
- Dog walker volunteers must purchase a leash at our retail store
Already a Volunteer?
What types of roles are available?
We are gradually ramping up our volunteer activities after the COVID-19 “Stay at Home” orders. New volunteer opportunities include the following:
Brand Ambassador Volunteers
Great Plains SPCA hosts many fundraising events throughout the year and we need lots of help to make them successful. Roles include event registration and check-in, off-site tabling, dog handlers, silent auction attendants, Puppygram and Kittengram drivers, swag bag stuffers, errand runners, customer service, etc.
Do you love kitty companionship? Want to learn more about feline behavior? We need volunteers to help properly socialize and help our cats adjust to shelter life and provide support to our Cattery team, such as cleaning litter boxes and feeding. . Cat Socializer volunteers must commit to four hours per month for the first three months.
Community Service Hours
Please note that at this time, we cannot accommodate individuals who need court-ordered or work/school-required community service hours.
How do I get started?
The process for individuals interested in Brand Ambassador, Adoption Support and Photography roles is below. In addition to these steps, Cat Socializers must also complete a one-on-one training session with a volunteer mentor.
- Watch our New Volunteer Information Session video.
- Take and pass the New Volunteer Quiz.
- Once you pass the quiz, you will receive an email with instructions to complete our Volunteer Application.
- Your application will be reviewed and if approved, you will be sent a link with next steps.
- Start volunteering!
Great Plains SPCA is committed to helping people of all ages experience the true joy pets bring into our lives. The following opportunities are available to enrich the lives of youth in our community.
- Volunteers must be at least 13 years of age to interact with our animals. Volunteers between the ages of 13 and 16 must be accompanied by an adult parent or guardian at all times, including while completing all of the new volunteer steps in the process above.
- Volunteers 16 and older may volunteer independently without an adult.
School and Community Group Volunteer Opportunities
We love hosting school and community groups who want to come help with tasks at the shelter. We schedule two of these volunteer sessions per month. Tasks include bagging Pet Food Pantry food, landscaping and yard maintenance, essential shelter help and creating enrichment for our animals.
Click here for upcoming group volunteer opportunities.
We also provide tours for school and community groups who have completed a donation drive or service project benefitting Great Plains SPCA. Organize an effort to raise money or collect items from our Wishlist or make snuffle mats or cat hidies. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions for these projects and to schedule a time for you to deliver the donations and take a tour of the shelter. At the end of the tour you will have the opportunity to interact with some of our animals.