Want to Volunteer?
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization and we would not be able to serve community pets without the much-needed support of our dedicated volunteers!
Please read below to find out if volunteering with Great Plains SPCA is right for you!
What are the requirements to volunteer?
- Commit to 4 hours per month for the first 3 months
- Grace, accountability and respect for your fellow volunteers, GPSPCA staff and our guests
- Support for Great Plains SPCA’s mission
- An active e-mail for receiving volunteer communications
- 6 years of age is our minimum volunteering age. Age 6-10 are known as Junior Volunteers. Our Junior Volunteers are able to assist with watering, enrichment, and various operational and sanitation tasks around the shelter. The parent/legal guardian is responsible for following policies and procedures, and ensuring the Junior Volunteer is following rules set forth by the organization. Opportunities outside the shelter include holding donation drives and more. See our Donation Wish Lists.
- 11 years of age is the minimum age to interact with our animals. However, children 6 – 10 years of age may assist with various enrichment, operational and sanitation activities. All children between the ages of 6 and under 16 must always be supervised by a parent or guardian. Depending on the volunteer activity, it is best that only one child work alongside a parent/guardian to perform the volunteer activities. Because the parent/guardian is always in charge of the pet, it can be complicated to handle or work with an animal while also managing more than one child.
- Ages 16 and under 18 years. Volunteers in this age category may volunteer independently once all requirements are met.
- Unfortunately we do not accept court-ordered community service.
- If non-court ordered (school, Honors Society, work), fill out an application below.
*Please note that volunteers requiring non-court ordered hours will need to meet the same requirements as our day-to-day volunteers.*