Already a Foster?
- By fostering a pet in your home you are opening another spot in the shelter to save a life. Having a pet in a home also gives us more information to help match them successfully with a future adopter. We also know pets stay healthier in a home than they do at the shelter. Fostering is also very rewarding and allows you the chance to impact countless lives!
- Foster parents must be at least 18 years of age
- Foster parents must fill out a Foster Application and be approved
- Foster parents must be interested in helping their foster pets find forever homes
- Must have support for the mission of Great Plains SPCA
- Foster parents must treat any and all foster pets with love and respect
- Yes! Fostering is a form of volunteering that is done from the comfort of your home.
- The length of foster depends on each pet’s needs. Some pets just need short term FURLOUGH, think a trip to Starbucks or walk at a new park or a a sleepover while others may require longer. Ultimately, it is up to you how long you want or can foster.
- Yes. Foster parents are encouraged to meet any pets prior to agreeing to foster them. The Foster Manager will work to match each foster parent with the best fit for their family.
- We have a foster cell phone that is monitored 24/7 for calls in case of emergency. During business hours (10am-6pm) you can also text with the Foster Team to send updates and ask questions.
- Great Plains SPCA provides all medical care for foster pets and can provide food, toys, and other supplies if needed. Some fosters do choose to buy their own supplies or use what they have for their own pets, but all a foster family is required to provide is their home and their love!
- All foster pets are eligible to come stay at the shelter or go to another foster home if you need to go out of town or have an emergency arise during the foster pet’s stay. Giving as much notice as possible for foreseeable circumstances is appreciated.
- If you are interested in any of our pets or have questions about our Foster Program, please email our Foster Manager.