Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and with this holiday comes the obvious: flowers and sweets. However, some of these common items gifted to loved ones for the holiday can be dangerous for your pets! Dr. Madison Minter, Shelter Veterinarian at Great Plains SPCA, would like to share some common Valentine’s Day toxins to keep out of reach.
• Keep flowers like thorned roses, baby’s breath, irises, lilies, poppies, daffodils, and hyacinths away from your pets.
• Lilies are extremely dangerous for cats–even the vase water and leaves are toxic!
• Dark and unsweetened baking chocolate are the most dangerous–but any kind can be potentially harmful to your dog.
• Wine, beer, and liquor alike should be kept out of reach and spills should be cleaned up quickly.
• Cherries, plums, peaches, and apricots all have pits that are incredibly toxic to pets.
• This is an artificial sweetener commonly found in gum and breath mints.
• In a small dog, as little as one piece of gum can potentially cause seizures and liver failure.
• Coffee grounds and tea bags should always be disposed of away from your pets.
• Chocolate-covered espresso beans are especially dangerous!
• These are toxic to dogs.
From all of us at Great Plains SPCA, we wish you all a lovely, and safe, Valentine’s Day!