Lost or Found Pets

Our Intake Centers are open 7 days a week 10am – 5pm at both Merriam and Independence locations.

Merriam Lost Pet/Intake:

(913) 808-3347

Merriam Intake Center

Indy Lost Pet/Intake:

(913) 808-3383

Independence Intake

Please follow these important steps if you have lost a pet

  1. Call local animal control and shelters or vet clinics where they take pets.Don’t rely on e-mail as your only method of contact. Go to your area’s shelter and see if your pet is there. Also call any other local vet clinics, animal control for bordering cities, and other major animal shelters. Ask how often you should call back to update your report (at Great Plains SPCA, lost reports are automatically cleared from our database after 30 days).

    Online Reports

    Report a Lost or Found Pet in the Kansas City metro

    Lost and Found Reports Filed By The Public

  2. Animal Control for:
    View a full list of Regional Municipal Animal Control Units

  3. Shelters:
    • Animal control organizations for Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa, Lake Quivira, Merriam, Shawnee, and Johnson County Parks Department take their animals to Great Plains SPCA at (913) 742-7329.
  4. Visit the shelters/clinics in person to look for your pet.There is always the possibility that another person’s description of your pet will vary from your own. Find out how long the agency holds pets for owners to claim (varies from 3 to 10 days in different areas) and visit at least that often.
  5. Notify other area lost and found pet services
  6. Place a newspaper ad (lost ads are often free of charge).
  7. Post lost flyers (with photo!) in your area and talk to neighbors.
  8. If your pet has a microchip, make sure the microchip company has your current contact information.If you have lost the records, call the clinic or shelter where the chip was implanted to find out which company to call.
  9. Please DON’T GIVE UP!