All donations MATCHED in December up to $125,000 to DOUBLE your impact!
Volunteer with us!
Volunteers are the lifeblood of our organization and we would not be able to serve more than 35,000 pets annually without the much-needed support of our dedicated volunteers! To help you get connected with our organization faster, all of our beginning training videos are online. These training videos are required and contain important safety information that you’ll need to know before your first volunteer shift. Once you’ve completed the online training following the steps below, you will receive instructions on getting paired with one of our mentors!
Below are the steps to starting your volunteer journey with us:
2. Watch the New Volunteer Orientation presentation here.
3. Once you’ve completed the Volunteer Orientation presentation, fill out the volunteer application for Merriam or Independence.
4. Once your application is processed, you will receive an email explaining the next steps as well as links to watch the Cat and Dog Training 101 Videos. Please allow up to two days for your application to process.
5. Sign up for your first shift with a Cat or Dog Mentor by following the instructions that are in the email you receive once you submit your Volunteer Application!
6. Once you’ve completed your mentor shift, commit to volunteering four hours per month for at least three months.
7. Purchase a Volunteer T-shirt ($15) from our retail store during our open adoption hours. Dog Heroes will need to purchase our required dog leash as well for an additional $10.
8. Join our Volunteer Managers for a weekly meet and greet – details and times are also in the email you receive once you submit your application.
Monday, Tuesday: 7:00 am – 6:00 pm
Wednesday – Friday: 7:00 am – 7:00 pm
Saturday & Sunday 7:00 am – 6:00 pm