Have you lost a pet?
Steps to take if you have lost a pet
1. Call local animal control and shelters or vet clinics where they take pets.
Don’t rely on e-mail as your only method of contact. Go to your area’s shelter and see if your pet is there. Also call any other local vet clinics, animal control for bordering cities, and other major animal shelters. Ask how often you should call back to update your report (at Great Plains SPCA, lost reports are automatically cleared from our database after 30 days).
Animal Control for:
Overland Park: (913) 895-6300
Lenexa: (913) 477-7385
Merriam: (913) 322-5581
Shawnee: (913) 631-2155
Northeast (for Fairway, Mission, Roeland Park, Westwood): (913) 782-0720
Prairie Village & Mission Hills: (913) 642-6868 ext. 4631
Leawood: (913) 642-5555
Olathe Animal Control & Shelter: (913) 971-6362
KCK Animal Control & Shelter: (913) 321-1445
KCMO Animal Control & Shelter: 816-513-9800
Animal control organizations for Overland Park, Lenexa, Merriam, Shawnee, Prairie Village, Northeast and Johnson County Parks Department take their animals to Great Plains SPCA at (913) 742-7329.
Leawood Animal Control takes their animals to State Line Animal Hospital at (913) 381-3272.
2. Visit the shelters/clinics in person to look for your pet.
There is always the possibility that another person’s description of your pet will vary from your own. Find out how long the agency holds pets for owners to claim (varies from 3 to 10 days in different areas) and visit at least that often.
3. Notify other area lost and found pet services
4. Place a newspaper ad (lost ads are often free of charge).
Kansas City Star: (816) 234-4000
5. Post lost flyers (with photo!) in your area and talk to neighbors.
6. If your pet has a microchip, make sure the microchip company has your current contact information.
If you have lost the records, call the clinic or shelter where the chip was implanted to find out which company to call.
7. Please DON’T GIVE UP!